This is a sponsored column by Jessica Storm, ACSM Health/Fitness Specialist and NASM Corrective Exercise Specialist and owner of Storm Fitness – A Personal Training and Nutrition Company based in Reston.
Yes, losing weight without dieting is possible. In fact, it’s how I help my clients achieve their weight loss goals. Just the mention of the word “diet” can send the brain and body into a frenzy mode.
First, you begin think of all the things you will need to deny yourself of in order to achieve your weight loss and you immediately swear off ever having any of those bad foods ever again. Then the cravings set in and the brain goes to work constantly thinking about all the food that you must deny yourself. This can really get depressing fast — who wants to live their life feeling this way?
Did you realize that the word diet has the word “die” in it? When we diet, we deprive ourselves. When we drastically overhaul how we have been living it is not sustainable.
I want my clients to live a full and happy life. I teach them how to be successful while not denying themselves of fun times and yummy foods. It is possible. It doesn’t need to be a struggle and it shouldn’t be. I have listed below a few tips that you can start to implement into your lifestyle right now.
It really doesn’t take drastic measures. Baby steps are just fine. I love that famous quote “if you change the way you look at things the things you look at change.” Keep this approach in mind as you begin implementing some of these strategies to drop excess weight and get your health back.
1. Drink Lots of Water: I recommend getting rid of most all other beverages. Herbal teas can be great. If you don’t like plain water, try adding some lemon to it. Green tea is a great way to get a little bit of caffeine in the morning — and it is also a metabolism booster. Soda — even diet soda — is one of the worst things you can have and it deserves no place in your body.
2. Give Into your Cravings: If you feel a craving coming on, drink a glass of water or a cup of hot tea. If it’s still there, then give into a small piece of your craving. Really, the first bite or two are the ones that taste the best. Take your time and savor the flavor and then don’t go back for more.
3. Banish Emotional Eating: Before you eat, always ask yourself, “am I really hungry?” Often, we are not and we are eating as a way to self-soothe. Tune into your body and mind. Putting a piece of chocolate in your mouth is going to soothe you for about 10 seconds until you need to go back for your next fix. Eat only when you are hungry.
4. Cook Your Own Food: Having healthy food and snacks on hand is essential. You don’t want to end up at McDonald’s due to lack of planning. Prep meals ahead of time, it really doesn’t take as long as you think. Learn to cook healthy whole foods. Wean yourself away from the processed products.
5. Brush Your Teeth After Every Meal: This trick works for so many of my clients. Most people really don’t want to put food in their mouth after brushing their teeth.
6. Don’t Clean Your Plate. Take a good look at the amount you have been eating and try reducing that by one-quarter or more. You will be surprised the portions you have been eating. Eat from blue plates – studies show people eat less when surrounded by blue. Or use smaller dishes — smaller size dishes means less food on them.
7. Exercise: Just walking an extra mile a day or burning roughly an extra 100 calories more per day will start to change your internal body chemistry. This is important so that you start to become a lean, mean, fat-burning machine. It’s imperative that you add some form of strength training at least two times per week. This is the secret weapon to stoking your metabolism and sculpting your body.
Don’t think you have to go crazy with your exercise. In fact, too much can just send our bodies into a destructive mode where more calories are craved and adrenals become stressed. There is a fine balance when it comes to exercise, and it’s often less than you think.
There are programs out there (both videos and classes) that are prime examples of taking exercise to the extreme. They can end up doing more harm than good in the long run, so it is important to really understand what you are getting into and why. If you are confused or not seeing result, find out the balance that is right for your body by seeking out proper guidance from a certified expert.
Wishing you health and happiness in 2015 and beyond!
Storm Fitness has been serving Northern Virginia area for more than a decade and has received numerous recognitions for the life changing results they have delivered to their clients. Read more about their offerings at www.StormFitness.com
Following longstanding and growing complaints over parking issues, Town kf Herndon officials adopted an ordinance yesterday (Tuesday) to restrict how close drivers could park to driveways, one of several changes…
A portion of Edmund Halley Drive has officially been transferred over to the state. At a Tuesday meeting, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors unanimously voted to transfer a section…
Buffalo Wing Factory offers dine in and carry-out options for the Big Game with smashburgers, wings, pizzas, a revised cocktail menu and more.
Reston’s Pet of the Week is Sky, a loving and curious pup looking for a new home. Here’s what his friends at Safe Haven Puppy Rescue had to say…